February 19, 2021
WIS 23 construction project, Darlington, set to begin late March
Construction on WIS 23 between County Shop Road and Minerva Street in the City of Darlington is expected to begin by the end of March.
A virtual public informational meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 4, from 5-6 p.m. A link to this meeting can be found on the project website with instructions on how to access the meeting. Simply visit https://projects.511wi.gov/wis23-darlington/.
· Replace deteriorated roadway with new asphalt pavement
· Improve geometry at several intersections for turning movements and access
· Replace bridge deck over the Pecatonica River
· Utility replacements: water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, street lighting
· Upgrades to sidewalk, guardrail, driveways
· Box culvert extension near the Minerva Street intersection
· Retaining wall additions south of the river
· North segment – late March 2021 thru November 2021: Reconstruct WIS 23 from East River Street to Minerva Street, including the bridge deck replacement
· South segment – April 2022 thru October 2022: Reconstruct WIS 23 from County Shop Road to East River Street
· WIS 23 and WIS 81 will be detoured during both construction seasons.
· The work zone will only be open to local traffic and emergency vehicles.
· No on-street parking allowed on WIS 23 within the construction limits.
Prior to construction, a crack and damage survey will be completed focusing on the buildings located between Alice St. and Cornelia St. This survey will document the pre-construction conditions of the buildings. If you work or reside in this area, please note that the surveyors from Vibra-Tech may contact you to inspect the interior walls and foundation of your building. Once construction is completed through downtown, a post-construction survey will be conducted.
For more information or questions, please contact:
· Greg Payne, WisDOT Project Manager, (608) 242-8058, [email protected]
· Barry Larson, WisDOT Project Engineer, (608) 209-1626, [email protected]