Position: The Darlington Chamber Main Street seeks a part-time Executive Director to continue the energy and growth of it’s program.
Mission Statement: The purpose of the Darlington Chamber Main Street is to improve quality of life through assisting in the revitalization of the business community as a whole through concentrated efforts in organization, promotion, design, and economic enhancement.
Community and History: Darlington has a historically rich Main Street complete with a boulevard with many properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places. These beautiful historic structures are thriving with commerce and the downtown offers unique shops, restaurants, service offices, and lodging.
This community of nearly 2,500 is also the county seat of Lafayette County. The historic Courthouse, a symbol of pride for the community, features a Tiffany glass rotunda, copper and marble fixtures and a fountain.
Darlington, rich in history, is also a community with all the amenities one would hope for while still maintaining a charming small town atmosphere. Darlington offers something for everyone, unique shopping and dining opportunities of our business district, the excitement of our Friday night stock car races, an old fashioned county fair complete with livestock and a midway, or the opportunity to take in the beautiful scenery via foot, bicycle, canoe, horse, ATV or car.
To learn more please visit http://www.darlingtonwi.org/
Position Summary: The Executive Director leads the effort to revitalize, improve, and advocate for the Darlingtonarea businesses. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors which consists ofrepresentatives from Darlington businesses, residents and community leaders.
- Provide the vision, strategic planning and overall creative direction to accomplish the revitalization and commercial success of Darlington.
- Involved with all administrative and financial aspects of the community’s Main Street Program.
- Collaborate with the Design, Economic enhancement, Organization, and Promotion committees of Darlington Chamber Main Street.
- Establish a volunteer base to aid with and carry out committee projects. The Executive Director handles day -to- day issues, manages individual volunteers and serves as a liaison.
- Work with the City of Darlington administration to coordinate and manage events.
- Create and conduct ongoing public awareness programs to enhance community development and historic preservation.
- Design marketing materials and press releases to coordinate with local media and highlight events, new business openings, etc. Manage social media to maintain a high level of visibility for Darlington Chamber Main Street in the community.
- Be responsible for targeting an annual fund raising goal and take primary responsibility to accomplish this objective.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders, sponsors, donors, and local, state, and national governmental organizations.
- Serve as an advocate for downtown issues at the local and state levels.
- Foster an understanding of the Main Street Program’s goals and objectives.
- Maintain State and National Main Street accreditation and ensure organization compliance with Wisconsin Main Street program requirements including progress reporting and training.
- Attend meetings of the City of Darlington and other agencies as directed by the board.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Project a high degree of professionalism in representing the community, including during interviews by local media.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board, business community, property owners, city officials, and outside agencies.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills including social media.
- Draft and administer a budget, work independently with limited direction, process confidential information with discretion, and make accurate independent decisions.
- Serve as a liaison between private and public sector representatives and volunteers.
- Non-profit administration, fundraising and grant writing skills desired.
- Knowledgeable in business recruitment and economic development, city planning, historic preservation, tourism, and community development.
- Ability to coordinate volunteers.
- Successfully plan, market and execute events.
- Work in varying weather conditions and be will to work evenings and weekends when needed.
- Bilingual with Spanish a plus
- Work Experience, preferably in business, marketing, communications, non -profit management or finance. Vast experience with social media and technology preferred.
The work schedule is 20 hours/week. Policy is flexible regarding specific hours and days
worked each week. Day – to – day operations will take place in Darlington. Any travel
outside of Darlington for business purposes will receive mileage reimbursement. This
position may require evening and weekend commitments due to the nature of the position.
Opportunities for Main Street training and professional development will be provided. Travel
and conference expenses will be provided.
Job performance reviews at 3, and 6 months, then yearly.
Residency within Lafayette County is not required but preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
$18,000.00 annually, flexible hours, possible comp time.
A mutually convenient start date will be arranged after the selection process is complete. We will keep you informed via email of your status as we progress through the selection process.
- July 15, 2020 is the deadline for application submissions.
- August 1 intended approximate hire date.
Electronic submission are preferred. Please submit one .pdf document containing your information. If submitting electronically no paper copy follow up is needed.
Interested candidates are asked to forward their cover letter, resume and references to
Questions regarding this position or application information can be directed to:
Judy Boll, Board President at: [email protected]
Mandy Johnson, Board Vice President at: [email protected]